You may be looking for:
Aeon of Strife is a custom map for StarCraft, created by Gunner_4_ever. It led in part to the popular Defense of the Ancients map for Warcraft III, which was one of the first true MOBA games and as such the game on which Heroes of the Storm is based.
In Aeon, a regular player controlled a single hero unit fighting amidst AI-controlled enemies in three lanes. There was very little terrain outside these lanes. It featured an initial roster of 8 hero units, without any particular special abilities. Killing enemy heroes and AI controlled enemies awards players minerals, which functioned as the mod's currency. Newer and different iterations of the map emerged with different lane structures and other perks. The player spent this currency on armor or weapon upgrades, without any concept of levels outside the number of said upgrades a player had bought. This concept became prevalent in later MOBAs, though in later versions of the game, a unit would be dropped from a dropship in a secluded corner of the map, acting as an 'activator' to add some skills to a unit. The objective of the game was to destroy the opposing team's core structure (represented by a xel'naga temple).
Some sources use a picture as the "original AoS", which has a similar layout with dota, and Tassadar as a playable hero, but in fact, this map is not AoS at all, it's just a dota imitation.
- StarCraft Legacy staff. 2010-10-22. BlizzCon 2010 StarCraft II Custom Maps and Editor Panel. StarCraft Legacy. Accessed 2010-10-23.
- 2013-07-22, DOTA 2: A HISTORY LESSON. The Martini.com, accessed on 2013-11-13
- 2016-05-26, THE FIRST MOBA - AEON OF STRIFE. MMO.com, accessed on 2017-12-22
- 2012-01-02, DOTA Part 1: The Pebble that Started the Avalanche. YouTube, accessed on 2014-05-11
- The history of DotA. Part 1: From Aeon of Strife to 6.27, Dota 2.ru. Accessed on 2017-12-22
- The Origin of the MOBA: Aeon of Strife and Defense of the Ancients, daviddannelly.com. Accessed on 2020-12-4
- Nick's Starcraft Archive, Angelfire. Accessed on 2017-12-22
- DotA Starcraft, staredit. Accessed on 2017-12-22