Bel'Shir was once as a sacred spiritual retreat for the Templar Caste. It later became a sacred world to the Tal'darim, whose mystics set up altars to collect terrazine, which they believed to be a gift from the xel'naga and called "the Breath of Creation".
During the Second Great War, Gabriel Tosh requested Raynor's Raiders to collect terrazine from the alters. The Tal'darim found them and sent in their air power, which was held off by Jim Raynor's anti-air force, which included goliaths. The Tal'darim then tried to seal off their altars so that Raynor's SCVs could not "defile the Breath of Creation", as Nyon put it. Raynor prevailed against them and delivered the terrazine to a pleased Tosh.
In December, 2504, Egon Stetmann was dispatched on a research expedition to Bel'Shir. As the Second Great War ran its course, and terran politics within the Koprulu sector shifted drastically, Stetmann was forgotten about. During the End War two years later, allied commanders aided the (now mentally unhinged and worshipping Bel'Shir as a god) scientist in retrieving terrazine using harvesting bots while engaging Amon's Forces.
During the war, terrazine on the planet enhanced its native viruses, causing a deadly plague that spread across all lifeforms.
After the harvesting on Bel'Shir, Egon Stetmann created a mechanical zerg army named the Mecha Swarm with the intent of protecting the planet, which he continued to worship as a god due to terrazine exposure. He sent this swarm to combat Amon's Forces.
Years after the first harvesting, for Gary's birthday, Egon returned to Bel'Shir to harvest terrazine from the planet, and to also test Gary's empathy. He and an allied commander drove Amon's Forces off of Bel'Shir and harvested another batch of terrazine.
- Bel'Shir once appeared nearly identical to the world which appeared in the first StarCraft II video from space, except for the green color and the artificial volcano. This world is Braxis Alpha. The image has since been updated.
- Bel'Shir (old image) appears on the official StarCraft II website in the hole above the footer of the site.
- During storyline development, the planet originally featured an artificial volcano, which was created by the zerg to provide energy, visible from space as a reddish "explosion".
- In initial prerelease information, Chris Metzen referred to Bel'Shir as "one of the moons of the Mackan system," but in the same statement also referred to it as a planet. Official art on release and the description of Mist Opportunities reinforce its status as a planet.
- A map of Bel'Shir exists in the map editor. However, apart from the absence of creep, this map is identical to one of Aiur, so assessing its validity is difficult.