Overview[edit | edit source]
Broodlings are small but vicious and upon hatching, will attack any nearby enemies, attacking them until either they or the broodlings are destroyed. In the event that there are no nearby enemies, they await commands from a higher strain. Their effectiveness is primarily compromised, however, by their very limited lifespans.
History[edit | edit source]
Broodlings were originally grown from globs of spores launched from queens. These spores attempted to 'fertilize' any organic matter they came into contact with and were capable of eating through even the armored hulls of vehicles to reach the occupants within. If these spores made contact with an organic being, they forced the organism to metabolize, serving as the breeding ground for a near instantaneous metabolization and birth of a pair of broodlings. The explosive birth was fatal to the host.
The newest generation of broodlings are spawned from the brood lord. They are grown in sacs attached to the creature's body, which are capable of rapidly spawning large batches of broodlings. Used as living ammunition, the brood lord supercharges the broodlings' aggression and metabolism in combat, turning them into short-lived, but very effective air-to-ground weapons, capable of tearing through personal armor and vehicular plating with ease. This is in addition to the initial impact damage they inflict when they hit their intended targets. The broodlings themselves also regulate some of the brood lord's biological functions. These broodlings can adapt alongside their brood lord hosts, and can fit various other environments. During the invasion of a world with immense seas, a strain of broodlings evolved to be better suited to aquatic combat.
Game Unit[edit | edit source]
StarCraft[edit | edit source]
StarCraft II[edit | edit source]
Heroes of the Storm[edit | edit source]
Broodling Types[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- Brood Lord, accessed on 2011-01-18
- Broodling. StarCraft Compendium. Accessed on 2008-02-07
- 2015-01-16, Brood Lord Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-01-20
- Barba, Rick. StarCraft Field Manual (hardcover). Insight Editions, November 17, 2015.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. Collections Tab: Skins. October 17, 2016
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard) (in English). July 27, 2010
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Kerrigan's abilities and status (in English). 2013.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. Collections Tab: Skins. July 19, 2017
- 2014, Zagara. Heroes Nexus, accessed on 2014-06-27