The dark archon is a heavy protoss psionic support unit.
- A dark archon(src)
Like their high templar brethren, two dark templar sacrifice themselves in a psionic melding giving rise to the dark archon. The powers of dark archons extend well beyond those of the regular archon, more than compensating for their lack of any physical attack capability.
The burning, crimson figure of the dark archon spreads fear across any battlefield. These powerful creatures of living psionic energy embody the eternal wrath of the Dark Templar. Dark archons wield psionic powers of the Void.
Under ordinary circumstances, the chaotic and unstable energies of a dark archon will cause it to burn itself out and dissipate after a short period of time. Thus far, only Ulrezaj has found a way to avoid this fate and prolong his own unnatural existence. His abilities were markedly different from other dark archons. Dark archons have claimed that their existence is one of suffering.
During their long exile, the Dark Templar have faced many challenges. Struggling and adapting their arsenal of skills and converting their biology to suit their harsh environment ultimately resulted in the dark archon. They are so powerful that the Dark Templar outlawed their creation for a thousand years out of fear.
The creation of dark archons was finally allowed after the Khalai came to Shakuras, the Dark Templar homeworld. Matriarch Raszagal and Zeratul authorized their use due to Aldaris' rebellion, which included archons fighting on the side of the insurgents. This was the first that the Khalai had ever seen or even heard of a dark archon and considered them to be abominations.
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Dark archon (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft in-game quotations see: StarCraft dark archon Quotations.
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Dark archon (StarCraft II).
- For StarCraft II in-game quotations see: StarCraft II dark archon Quotations.
Known Dark ArchonsEdit
- Dark Archon Hero
- Ulrezaj (made of seven Dark Templar, significantly different abilities)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dark Archon. StarCraft Compendium Protoss Units.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Underwood, Peter, Chris Metzen and Bill Roper. StarCraft: Brood War (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Golden, Christie (June 30, 2009). StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga #3: Twilight. Simon & Schuster (Pocket Star). ISBN 978-0-7434-7129-9.
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Dark archon unit quote (in English). 2015-11-10.
- ↑ StarCraft: Brood War. Vivendi Games. Mission: The Insurgent (in English). 1998.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Golden, Christie (November 27, 2007). StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga #2: Shadow Hunters. Simon & Schuster (Pocket Star). ISBN 0-7434-7126-1.
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. (Activision Blizzard). PC. War Council interface (in English). 2015-11-10.