Engine of Destruction is a StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty mission. Raynor's Raiders stole the Odin so that they could use it to capture the UNN Studios and publicly broadcast Arcturus Mengsk's war crimes.
Raynor's Raiders recovered Confederate Adjutant 23-46 from a Dominion excavation on Tarsonis. The adjutant contained proof of Mengsk's war crimes during the Great War.[note 1] The Raiders needed to gain access to the UNN Studios on Korhal IV to broadcast the information to the entire Dominion. To do this, they sought to hijack the Odin, an experimental Dominion siege walker, from Valhalla; the walker was due for a public unveiling on Korhal.
It was critical that the Dominion did not discover the theft. After the Odin was commandeered by Tychus Findlay, it would be used to destroy the immediate Dominion presence while interstellar communications were jammed.
Tychus Findlay led rebel infantry into the Odin's maintenance facility and secured the walker. Findlay set his communications to transmit only, and could not receive orders from Raynor. Findlay did not realize the error and unilaterally decided the pace of the attack; the Raiders were forced to keep pace with the walker. The rebels received Wraiths to provide air cover for the Odin.
- Main article: campaign quotations
The Raiders now had their way to infiltrate Korhal. Findlay was impressed by the Odin[note 2], and Raynor was interested in acquiring something similar. Rory Swann judged the Raiders lacked the resources to replicate the Odin, but agreed to investigate developing a smaller derivative.[note 3]
During the first part, use Findlay and a small squad of marines to clear out the small enemy force guarding Odin. Once Odin is captured and Findlay transfers into it, a basic base is deployed in the center of the map and turned over to the player. Odin is not controllable; it sets the tempo by automatically attacking enemy bases clockwise around the map. There is a short pause before the first attack begins and after each base is destroyed. To complete the mission, Odin must survive the attack on the bases.
Odin needs to be escorted and repaired. Prioritize enemy units that pose a large threat to Odin: such as diamondbacks, siege tanks, marauders, Banshees, and battlecruisers. Use Wraiths and other air units to keep pace with Odin and destroy enemy air units. For repairs, keep SCVs nearby, supplemented by MULEs called down from a command center and science vessels.
The base in the south-east corner contains the unique battlecruiser Loki. Loki only activates when approached. Its hanger is easily reached with air units, although ground unit may be massed on the platform to the south. Loki is armed with both Yamato cannon and missile pods; avoid attacking with clustered air units. Destroying Loki unlocks an achievement.
There are three devourer samples scattered across the map as optional research objectives. One is located right before Findlay finds Odin. Another is to the west of the second base in the north-west. The last one is located some distance directly west of Loki.
|Engine of Destruction|
Complete all Mission Objectives
Destroy the Loki on Normal difficulty
|Ragnarok & Roll|
Don't let the Odin drop below 30% of its total life on Hard difficulty
Repair less than 5000 damage on the Odin in the "Engine of Destruction" mission on Normal difficulty.
- The experimental units are named after the major Norse gods, Odin, the chief god, Thor, the god of thunder, and Loki, the god of Mischief. The mission world is Valhalla, which in Norse mythology is the afterlife home of humans killed in battle, the achievement for protecting the Odin refers to Ragnarök, the destruction and rebirth of the world, and the achievement for destroying the Loki refers to Asgard, the capital of the Norse gods.
- Data in the Galaxy Map Editor indicates one of the bonus objectives may have at one point been to collect cerebrate samples rather than devourer samples.
- Conversation with Adjutant 23-46 after StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty mission, "Cutthroat."
- Conversation with Tychus Findlay after StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty mission, "Engine of Destruction".
- Conversation with Rory Swann after StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty mission, "Engine of Destruction".
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, Engine of Destruction (in English). 2010-07-27.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, The Great Train Robbery (in English). 2010-07-27.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Laboratory (in English). 2010.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Tychus Findlay (in English). 2010.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Rory Swann (in English). 2010.