Overview[edit | edit source]
The Fenris Brood was known for its superior tracking abilities and was often called upon to hunt down escaped breeders and wayward enemies of the Swarm across wild terrain or through the endless void of space. Although the numbers of this brood were few, it carried out its pursuit with merciless precision and cunning. Their primary role, however, was to find new races and genetic strains that would benefit the Swarm through absorption. Once an acceptable race was found, the Fenris Brood would hound it until it had been either assimilated by the Overmind or eradicated completely. They would also systematically hunt down and eliminate opponents of the Zerg Swarm. The creatures of this brood were known for their formidable tracking skills and their deadly efficiency.
History[edit | edit source]
The following section contains information from StarCraft: Insurrection.
- Main article: StarCraft: Insurrection Zerg Campaign
The Fenris Brood saw action on and over Brontes IV.
Nargil offered assistance to a new cerebrate created by the Overmind. The Fenris Brood fought protoss 7th Fleet forces in space, led by Executor Andraxxus, securing access for the new brood to descend to the surface of Brontes IV. The brood continued to fight Andraxxus' forces until they were forced to Brontes IV's surface, while the new brood paved the way.
The Overmind had hoped to lure the terran and protoss forces together to fight each other, but instead they struck an alliance. Together they defeated a Fenris Brood hive cluster, forcing many of its minions to hide. They were rescued by the new brood.
Executor Andraxxus was driven to rage by the attacks of the zerg, which could interfere with the new brood's task of attacking the rogue Carpenter's Brood. While the new brood did so, the Fenris Brood was tasked with attacking Andraxxus's 7th Fleet forces.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
The Fenris Brood is named after Fenrir, a giant wolf in Norse mythology who devours Odin during the end of the world.
References[edit | edit source]
- Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- StarCraft: Insurrection. Aztech New Media. Zerg campaign, mission 1: “Syndrea's Demise” (in English). 1998.
- StarCraft: Insurrection. Aztech New Media. Zerg campaign, mission 2: “Nargil's Swarm” (in English). 1998.
- StarCraft: Insurrection. Aztech New Media. Zerg campaign, mission 3: “The Road to Victory” (in English). 1998.
- StarCraft: Insurrection. Aztech New Media. Zerg campaign, mission 4: “Fury” (in English). 1998.
- StarCraft: Insurrection. Aztech New Media. Zerg campaign, mission 8: “Vengeance” (in English). 1998.