- Terran firebat(src)
The firebat is a type of terran infantry specialized for close-quarters combat.
Firebats are "armored assault troopers,"  often attached to provide support for marine squads. Particularly devastating in close quarters combat, they're typically armed with dual arm-mounted flamethrowers and wear heat-resistant fireproof armor similar to those used by marines, although it is noticeably heavier.
Firebats predate the Guild Wars, and were fielded by the Confederate Marine Corps to aid in expanding Confederate interests. During the Guild Wars, the experimental CMC-230 XF power armor was equipped with jet packs and issued to flamethrower infantry troopers, and was given the nickname "firebat." The system had reliability issues, causing the jet packs to eventually be scrapped, though a non-jump ground variant continued to be produced for firebats.
During the Great War, Terran Confederacy firebats were equipped with wrist-mounted Perdition flamethrowers and CMC-660 combat suits. The vulnerable flame tanks are protected by containment fields.
- A Dominion marine on firebats' use of CMC-660 armor(src)
As with marines, many firebats are recruited or conscripted from "culturally challenged" persons. Such individuals undergo neural resocialization and receive aggression inhibitor implants as part of their training. Firebats are almost exclusively composed of resocialized criminals and psychotic pyromaniacs. During the reign of the Confederacy, firebats were infamous for being high-risk, unstable individuals, and older personnel manuals recommended the exclusive use of resocs or pyromaniacs for firebat duty. Still, volunteers are not unheard of: in the Confederate Marine Corps, an individual had to have a PEB (Preferred Experience Base) of at least three months combat experience to become a firebat.
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Firebat (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft in-game quotations see: StarCraft I Firebat Quotations.
This article or section contains information about StarCraft: Ghost, which has been declared non-canon. Elements may be taken as 'flavor lore' however.
In StarCraft: Ghost multiplayer, the firebat was equipped with flamethrowers. In addition, it launched laser-guided or manually guided napalm rockets. The rockets had greater range than the flamethrowers.
In the Invasion Mode, a firebat cost three points.
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Firebat (StarCraft II).
- For StarCraft II in-game quotations see: StarCraft II Firebat Quotations.
Heroes of the StormEdit
- Main article: Terran firebats
- Lieutenant Jack Frost
- First Sergeant Gui Montag
- Sergeant Bud Morris
- Corporal Miles Lewis
- Private First Class Fetu Koura-Abi
- Private Ekart
- Private Hank Harnack
- Private Eugene Malik
- Private Harper Utley
- Private Wabowski
- Billy Bob
- Trevor Jacobs
- Franko Tildon
- A 7" firebat action figure was released in 1998.
- The firebat's portrait in StarCraft II is a mix of StarCraft firebat portrait with StarCraft II marauder portrait.
- Space fel orcs, which resemble terran firebats, appeared in the map editor of WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne as well as the bonus credits sequence of WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos (the latter only after finishing the final mission on difficult mode).
- Firebats are a type of summon in the Diablo universe.
- In a poll conducted by Blizzard, the firebat was voted as "the hottest unit in StarCraft" (though was technically the only option).