The scourge is an aerial zerg kamikaze strain.
Scourges are blind (due to optical degeneration) suicidal fliers of unknown origin, seeking out enemy starships and diving into them. Catalytic agents within the scourge allow it to undergo a form of plasma metamorphosis, causing it to explode like a living bomb. A single scourge is capable of destroying a terran starfighter or shuttle and a handful can breach the hull of a starship. They are able to engage these targets in both air and the vacuum of space. On the ground, scourges stand taller than a terran in CMC armor.
The primary drawback of the scourge is its limited ability to store energy, able to fly for barely a few hours without requiring additional substance. To conserve energy, they often perch on the backs of overlords. However, this presents a hazard, as the scourge's explosive nature can damage friendly zerg at this proximity.
Scourges have a varied and somewhat confusing evolutionary history. They possess a simple genetic makeup, allowing them to spawn in pairs from a single larva similar to that of zerglings. By the Second Great War, scourges could be spawned from leviathans. By 2505, it appears that the Swarm had settled on dedicated scourge nests to handle scourge evolution and production. These nests were spotted in Char's infamous Bone Trench, but it was unclear to the Dominion whether these nests actually spawned scourges, or if pre-existing scourges had chosen to nest in them.
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Scourge (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Scourge (StarCraft II).
Heroes of the Storm
- Barba, Rick. StarCraft Field Manual (hardcover). Insight Editions, November 17, 2015.
- Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- Rosenberg, Aaron (May 23, 2006). StarCraft: Queen of Blades. Simon & Schuster (Pocket Star). ISBN 978-0-7434-7133-6.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft. Vivendi Games. Cinematic: The Downing of Norad II. (in English). 1998.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, Shatter the Sky (in English). 2010-07-27.
- Blizzard Entertainment. Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard Entertainment) (in English). June 2, 2015