The slothien (a.k.a. "caterpillar cows") were soft-ribbed, peaceful, caterpillar-like herbivores, making their homes in large nests. This changed with their assimilation into the Zerg Swarm, becoming the nightmarish hydralisks. Even their nests were corrupted.
It is known that slothien possessed urticating hairs, which were coated in a mild paralytic venom to ward off predators. These hairs formed the basis for the hydralisk's deadly needle spines. Their thick mandibles were subjected to forced evolution to increase their effectiveness, and their soft ribs were hardened via biochemical manipulation into the hydralisk's scythe-like claws.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Maxwell, Matthew. "The Teacher." (Feb. 20, 2013). Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft Lore: The Teacher Accessed 2013-02-20.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2014-09-25, Hydralisk Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-09-27
- ↑ Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 StarCraft II-Hydralisk. Accessed on 2008-03-10
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Heart of the Swarm, Roach Evolution (in English). 2013-03-12.