Game Unit[edit | edit source]
Spore crawlers can move, but can only plant themselves on creep. Their mobility is significantly reduced when they are not on creep, however.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Crawlers can uproot themselves from the creep and move about, but can only plant themselves back onto the creep. They move much more quickly on the creep than off it.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
Players will want to spread creep onto the map to create more space for their crawlers. Their mobility allows players to simply relocate the crawlers depending on the situation, and as such, they could build them in lesser numbers without weakening the defenses. Like the spine crawler, spore crawlers slowly die if rooted in ground not covered with creep. They can, however, survive indefinitely without creep so long as they are uprooted.
Development[edit | edit source]
The following section contains information from a previous version of StarCraft II which is no longer valid.
The concept of mobile defenses in StarCraft II began with the phase cannons, but was transferred to spine and spore crawlers when the phase cannon proved to be unbalanced in testing. Prior to this, crawlers were stationary structures. They underwent a visual re-design late in the game's development cycle.
Crawlers used to lose armor and hit points while uprooted.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. Collections Tab: Skins. October 17, 2016
- Gerrold, David (w), Fernando Heinz Furukawa (p, i). StarCraft: Ghost Academy: Volume 3 (paperback binding). Tokyopop, March 8, 2011. ISBN 978-1427-81614-6.
- Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Zerg research (in English). 2010.
- Pardo, Rob and Zetaras Xal'Kurat. 2008-06-29. WorldWide Invitational 2008: Pictures, Presentations, Videos (StarCraft II Panel: Evolving Design) SC2 Blog. Accessed 2008-06-30.
- 2011, SC2: Protoss Photon Cannon. Deviantart, accessed on 2011-02-20
- 2010, SC2: Zerg Crawlers. Deviantart, accessed on 2011-07-01
- StarCraft Legacy staff. 2008-07-16. StarCraft: Legacy Internal Q&A. StarCraft Legacy. Accessed 2008-07-17.