Unused units are left over or incomplete concepts that were not used in the final game releases. They may be available in the map editors, and used in user created maps.
The following critters were removed/altered:
- "Badlands critter" (later became the rhynadon)
- Spot (later became the ragnasaur)
- V'ger (a.k.a. "space critter", used on space platform tilesets)
- Aldaris, a high templar with the same stats as Tassadar, but unable to cast psionic storm or hallucination. The unit uses the same attack as Tassadar's, and changing one's stats changes the other's as well. This unit has no voice. This unit was conspicuously not used in the level The Insurgent.
- Gerard DuGalle and Arcturus Mengsk are both battlecruisers (Aleksander and Leviathan respectively) with Edmund Duke's voice. DuGalle's face portrait is referred to as a "ghost".
- Raszagal's model and voice are that of a Corsair; however, she has a dark templar wireframe. The unit has weaker stats than a normal Corsair. Like Tassadar and Aldaris, the normal Corsair and Raszagal use the same weapon.
The following independent heroes were removed from the game altogether:
- Boskk (Raider pilot)
- Greedo (Gunship pilot)
- Grom (Merc biker)
- Peter (Raider pilot)
- Sally (cargo ship pilot)
- Three units use the protoss Scout as an in-game model:
- The cargo ship has a wireframe confirmed by Blizzard to be the original battlecruiser. The wireframe is similar to the covert ops.
- The gunship has a wireframe that resembles a Valkyrie. It also has an additional "mercenary gunship" model.
- The independent starport also looks like a Scout. It has an "unknown attack" that does 7 damage in its profile, but it doesn't actually attack.
- The Hatch is an unused doodad.
- Various "special" units which are used in normal games, but cannot be placed in StarEdit:
These units were found through third-party editors such as SCMDraft and Starforge, and can only be placed by them.
A jumpgate and an independent command center also exist, but these cause StarCraft to crash.